Monday, December 10, 2012

Holy Side Quest, Batman! (Revenge of the Petticoat)

Towards the end of spring as I was beginning to finally smell the wafting freedom associated with graduation, I purchased a skirt on ebay. This skirt, or really a petticoat, was beautiful- elaborate embroidery, net lace, just amazing. That, coupled with the price ($10) seemed to have thoroughly distracted me from the piece's waistband. Upon finally getting in my hands months later (it arrived after I left for Japan), my newly sharpened vintage senses were completely dashed to a million pieces when I spotted the following.....




                                 ......snaps? SNAPS?!!

But really, one of the things that hurt the most was this:

               What is this I don't even                                           ELASTIC?!!!!

WHO would do this to a 100 year old piece of clothing? And not just a piece of clothing, but a work of art! LOOK at the embroidery done on this skirt- this took hours, by hand!



Angry, and with a vengeance, I spent the next 8 1/2 hours ripping all of those traitorous seams out of it. All of them. I became a pro at seam ripping. I didn't even eat dinner. I was excessively careful of the original machine stitching which still existed at the seams and in the last remaining dart. Ohhh the darts. The darts. The darts are a tragedy I'll save for the next post. In the mean time.....

Just pretend the red is fire. Or blood. Either is fine.
This side quest will have to put further progress on "The American Dressmaker" lessons on hold for a little while. This petticoat is crying out for blood, and I'll do what I can for it.
p.s.: sorry for the tiny pictures, but blogger has a coronary every time I use something over 300px. I might have to move house if this keeps up....

No comments:

Post a Comment