Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Supply run....

Over the weekend I visited my regular sewing supply shop. This place is good for basics, but the materials that they have available aren't very high quality and they're missing some pretty crucial stuff considering what their apparent foci are. About half the shop is devoted to making clothing and household textiles, and the other half is devoted to hobbies. It's not a huge shop, but it's a good size for Japan, I think.

I went in looking for two things: something resembling a yardstick, and a tailor's ruler. Bonus points if it also had inches.

I was able to find a good middling size ruler that could still fit in a bag, and a book of stick pins for when it comes time to fit the pattern to the fabric. No curved tailor's rulers, though. None at all. In fact, it was so conspicuously absent from a shop that was half set up for people to make clothing that I was almost tempted to ask where in the world they must've bought theirs from.

Probably from somewhere that requires a car to access.

I also took a look at their sewing machines for kicks. I can't really afford one right now, and I don't feel nearly cool enough (or ready for that matter) to attain the achievement of owning one yet, but it was interesting none the less. The store mostly sells Brother sewing machines, which the internet says generally gives you the most bang for your buck. Doesn't sound too bad.

I also looked over additional copy paper, seeing if they had any carbon paper but I was out of luck on that count. A rotary cutter was also tempting, but then you have to buy the cutting board, and the extra wheels, and it seemed like way too much of a hassle right now. For someone who said they'd do this the old fashioned way and all by hand, I've found myself looking at way too many potential shortcuts recently, haha.

All in all, it wasn't the most fruitful trip, but you take what you can get. This weekend will be part two of drafting- the back half of the shirtwaist. Should be way easier with a real straight edge, now!

No comments:

Post a Comment